|This website was bought about because of my interest in 4wd's and sharing
information to fellow enthusiasts. Previously showcasing my Pajero, it now showcases the latest addition to our family, a
1999 Nissan GU 2.8TDI Patrol which we bought second-hand in August 2002 with 200,000km on the clock. The vehicle has since
had an engine conversion to a factory TD42T engine after the RD28T did a big end bearing late in 2004. When faced with the
cost of repair or a replacement, the conversion proved to be a cheap alternative and was an easy choice to make.
Interested in Patrols or Campers? Well check out these great forums:
- 07/07/2009 - Took car back to Eveready with engine issues. Prognosis is not good.
- 07/06/2009 - 4 week trip to the Central Australia to see Lake Eyre and surrounds.
- 02/06/2009 - Installed new custom high flow billet airbox lid from Bruce Robinson.
- 02/06/2009 - Fitted a new Premier DV9000 winch and a TJM adjustable front Panard rod.
- 30/05/2009 - Replaced the Moonraker Autotune with a Codan 9350. Also fitted a Kaymar HF bracket.
- 20/05/2009 - Replaced all the suspension bushes and installed a Tough Dog RTC steering dampener.
- 15/05/2009 - Purchased a GME MT410G Emergency PLB
- 08/05/2009 - Had car tuned and dynoed. Promised lower
EGT's & better fuel economy. Here's hoping.
- 05/05/2009 - Bought an Opposite Lock outboard bracket that mounts to the OL wheel carrier.
- 29/04/2009 - Bought a PRT ground anchor to bolster the recovery gear.
- 09/02/2009 - Swapped the sagged 4" suspension with a new heavy duty TJM 5" kit and gained 2".
- 08/02/2009 - Fitted a Couplertec heavy duty electronic rust prevention system.
- 23/01/2009 - Fitted a new Opposite Lock rear bar with dual wheel carriers.
- 19/01/2009 - Installed a Tyredog tyre monitoring system to the Patrol and camper (6 wheels).
- 03/11/2008 - Updated the links page.
- 20/05/2008 - Registered domain www.grungle.com and migrated pages
to a hosting site.
- 13/04/2008 - Replaced the Volt/Amp meter in the camper with a NASA BM-1 battery monitor.
- 15/03/2008 - Replaced the camper batteries with 4 x Concord PVX-1040T 120AHr AGM batteries
- 05/01/2008 - Finished my second glovebox project which turned out great.
- 19/12/2007 - Hi-flowed turbo with new compressor wheels (exchange). Goes so much better!
- 18/11/2007 - Fitted new PWR radiator and modified expansion tank setup. Fingers crossed.
- 27/10/2007 - Blew apart inlet on radiator (plastic fatigue) towing camper up the Eton Range.
- 22/09/2007 - Finished my Endless Air project.
- 19/08/2007 - Fitted Autron dual gauge pillar pod and VDO boost and EGT gauges.
- 13/08/2007 - Fitted Beaudesert dump pipe and EGT probe.
- 11/07/2007 - Started my Car PC project to replace the stereo and navigation equipment.
- 10/06/2007 - 3 week trip up to Cape York.
- 08/06/2007 - Fitted a 30A smart battery charger to the rear of the Patrol.
- 07/06/2007 - Fitted a Roof Console, Icom IC-F7000 HF radio and Moonraker AT230 auto tune antenna.
- 03/06/2007 - Sealed the external power cables on the camper with Harnessflex conduit and glands.
- 02/06/2007 - Fitted a Cotek 1000W pure sinewave inverter to the camper complete with double GPO.
- 01/06/2007 - Car caught fire when checking winch which was wired up incorrectly after insurance claim.
- 15/03/2007 - Added Our Tinny page detailing what things we considered when buying a cartopper.
- 03/01/2007 - Bought a 'Flip-n-Easy' folding boat trailer.
- 12/12/2006 - Picked up our new Quintrex 3.70 Traveller and 15HP Mercury from the Sunshine Coast.
- 11/12/2006 - Had a boat loader fitted to the camper by Aussie Swag Campers in Brendale.
- 02/12/2006 - Rewired the Patrol with a Redarc isolator, new cabling and a Fullriver 260AHr battery.
- 01/12/2006 - Fitted custom made battery cradle ready for the Fullriver AGM in the rear cargo area.
- 25/01/2006 - Moved to Mackay.
- 31/12/2005 - Fitted long range main and aux fuel tanks from 4WD Systems.
- 20/11/2005 - C.E.M. Treatment and Synforce Cruiser Oil in the TD42T.
- 30/09/2005 - Added a Solar Power Calculator to our Solar charging system page.
- 10/09/2005 - 2 week trip to the Gulf taking in Lawn Hill, Kingfisher Camp and Gregory River.
- 26/06/2005 - Added a 12V DC system and a Solar charging system
- 25/06/2005 - Fitted digital Amp and Volt meters to the camper.
- 06/06/2005 - Bought a second-hand Honda EU10i generator.
- 05/06/2005 - Fitted 2 more Dynasty 100Ahr AGM batteries in the camper. 400Ahr total now.
- 04/06/2005 - Fitted a 30A smart battery charger and Manson 20A solar regulator to the camper.
- 15/03/2005 - Fitted Whiteline extended sway bar links.
- 14/03/2005 - Had the car tuned for 30% increase by Jamie Mehl and his team at Northside 4X4.
- 24/03/2005 - Purchased a 90W + 60W Bifacial solar panel and Smart solar regulator.
- 13/02/2005 - Re-hosed the compressed air system in preparation for Endless Air.
- 02/02/2005 - Fitted my Stainless Steel water tank into the cargo area.
- 29/01/2005 - Swapped the 4.88 diff gears over to 4.111.
- 24/12/2004 - Had the car delivered with the new TD42T installed.
- 16/12/2004 - Fitted two Dynasty 100AHr AGM batteries in the camper.
Previous to owning the Patrol, we had a 1992 Mitsubishi Pajero which was our first 4wd. We had the Paj for several years
in which we turned it into a very capable vehicle. This was a great car that gave us many memorable trips and much
satisfaction off-road but after a trip to Cape York in June 2002, it started to show its age with 270,000km on the clock. It
was then we felt the need to upgrade to a vehicle that had more room but with increased off-road capabilities.